Visit our family blog to keep us with our Family adventures! www.mydailydoseofcrazy.blogspot.com

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

Monday, December 6, 2010

Hearty chili

It is FREEZING and Windy here right now. This is one of my favorite cold weather recipes. Hayden loves this chili because it is something that he can eat a ton of...it is packed with proteins and very low in the carb department.

1 pound of Turkey (ground)
1 large onion chopped
1 pepper of your color choice
3-4 cloves of garlic
Chili powder (2Tbsp or your preference)
ground Cumin (1 Tbsp)
dried oregano (Mexican preferred) 1tsp
Salt/Pepper
1 Chipolte pepper (remember I said I keep a container in my fridge with these in it..I use them often)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 large can of crushed tomatoes (or stewed tomatoes thrown into the food processor)
1 small can/container of chicken stock
Frozen corn or a can - your choice
2-3 cans of beans - rinsed and drained - we use black, light kidney and dark kidney

Chop your pepper, and onion coarsely. Saute them in a little bit of oil or butter until lightly golden brown, add Turkey, chili powder and cumin, Salt/Pepper. Cook through.

Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and 1 Chipolte. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add corn and beans, return to a simmer and cook for another 30 minutes. Stir occasionally...

Serve with shredded cheese or a nice crumbled Queso Fresco.

My husband likes his over rice...half of us eat it plain (Hayden, myself and Lily) the other half like the rice.

No comments: